Communicate (for) a better world
Our world has turned into a global village. Continents have become neighbourhoods and the interconnectedness and interdependency between nations is ever increasing. Governments, companies, organizations/NGO’s are looking for skilled (strategic) communication experts who have state-of-the-art professional knowledge and skills as well as a highly sophisticated awareness of intercultural communication and societal issues.
The minor focusses on completing students’ knowledge in strategic corporate communications (in an international context) and acquiring advanced skills in intercultural communication. Special attention will be given to societal issues (corporate social responsibility and creating shared value) and sustainable development. What contribution can strategic communication make to attain the Sustainable Development Goals? In an international classroom students will broaden both their professional and personal horizon.
European Credits: 15 EC
All students are welcome to participate in this minor. However, we expect students to have a basic knowledge about strategic communication/journalism.
- gain knowledge about and insight in (international) corporate communication, cross cultural communication, corporate social responsibility (ESG -criteria | ecological, social and governance) and sustainable development
- learn how to use communication to help solve societal issues
- develop a profound interest in international and intercultural issues
- deepen their cross cultural sensitivity
- acquire skills to work and communicate in an international and multicultural setting
- be able to make a thorough analysis of an organisation’s CSR efforts and her corresponding communication practices
- develop a sensitive ethical awareness about truthful, transparent and accountable practises and communication
Classes and assignments
The learning environment consists of (online) lectures, self-study, online, group and individual assignments and an excursion.
- Cultural Encounters (5.0 EC): Communication is a tool in processes of both ‘binding’ and ‘bridging’. Cross cultural communication skills and diversity competence are required in a global multi-cultural society.
- International Strategic Communication (5.0 EC): Strategic communication is aimed at building sustainable relations with internal and external stakeholder groups. For governments, companies and organizations sustainable communication is a prerequisite to earn (societal) trust.
- Sustainable Development (5.0 EC): What role can communication play in finding solutions to ‘wicked problems’ related to poverty, inequality, climate, environmental degradation, prosperity, and peace and justice?