• Anda Soroiu

Anda Soroiu

International student

  • Antoni Andras

Antoni Andras

International Student

  • Sorin Soare

Sorin Soare

International student


Living as a student in Holland

Residence Permit

EU-residents do not need a special visa or permit to study or work in the Netherlands as long as they have a valid passport, sufficient financial means and medical insurance. Non-EU residents always have to apply for a visa before entering the Netherlands. This can be a tourist visa (for a stay up to 3 months) or a residence permit/visa (TEV). In order to find out which type of visa is required, foreign students have to inquire for this information from Dutch embassies and consulates in their home country. Please also see the website of NUFFIC (www.nuffic.nl) and the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Netherlands (www.minbuza. nl). The International Office can offer assistance or advice in this area.

Housing and costs of living

Like most Dutch institutes of higher education, the CHE has no campus with student housing. Most CHE students live with their parents or rent an apartment in Ede or the neighbouring towns of Bennekom, or Wageningen (home of Wageningen Agricultural University).
International students can contact the International office for assistance in finding accommodation. The office has several options, including a student hostel near the university building. The availabilty of accommodation may vary, so students are advised to send in their application as soon as possible. (for more information see Living as a student in Ede )

Medical services & health insurance

The National Health Service in the Netherlands does not offer free insurance for exchange students. Having one's own health and accident insurance is absolutely necessary.

(for more information se http://www.zorgverzekering.org/eng/general-information/students/)


Dutch people speak a language resembling Friesian, Afrikaans, Flemish and Low German. Most people, especially young people speak English, though their fluency can differ. English is taught at the primary school and in 95 % of the schools for secondary education English is a compulsory subject. English is a compulsory module for CHE students. Most departments use Dutch as language of instruction, although they are working on developing modules in English. For more information contact the International Office.


The Netherlands has a so ­called sea climate, which has mild, humid winters and moderate warm sum­mers. Springtime can be very nice, but rain showers are not unusual. Autumn is also a period of rain. Heavy snow in the Netherlands is possible. The best advice for foreign guests is to carry a raincoat or an umbrella with you! The national Dutch weather bureau is the KNMI http://www.knmi.nl/ .

Bank and Post offices

There are many banks and post offices in the Netherlands. Banks are mostly open from 10.00 - 17.00. They are closed on weekends, Christian holidays and national celebration days.

Telephone, fax and e-mail

To dial a telephone number in the Netherlands, you will have to use the international 31 as prefix. CHE students have their own e-mail address, and the computers at the CHE have access to internet and e-mail.