European Culture in past & present - 8:30AM
Managers need to have a cultural sensitivity. When they do business with Europeans, they need to understand something about the European cultures and ... their own. In order to understand the cultural differences between the US and Europe, you need to know something about European history and its cultural variety.
But it's not just history; the current situation in Europe is changing day by day. So we present the intermediate situation of January 9th in class. You have to prepare class by finding answers on some difficult questions (see below)
Read: Tony Judt, ‘The Varieties of Europe’, In: Postwar, The Penguin Press, New York, 2005 (pp. 749-775)
Answer the following questions:
- Write down an essential quotation from the text
- What did you like about the text?
- Were there issues you did not understand?
- Give at least two critical comments to the text
In class we will discuss what lessons should be learned from history in dealing with the current crises within Europe.
Current currencies and other problems
Please, prepare class by answering the following questions:
- What are the main reasons for the volatility of the exchange rate between € & $?
- If you compare the economic situation of Europe with your own national situation; what are striking similarities and differences?
- What are the major obstacles for the European Union in dealing with the financial / economic crises?
- What should be the role of the EU and other institutions in dealing with this crisis?
And the presentation of today:European History Thursday 9