The Mirror - 8:30AM
This morning there will be an exchange of ideas between American and Dutch students.
We will encourage you to learn about the other culture and about yourself by interviewing each other.
9:00 - Opening / devotional
9:10 - Introduction about some relevant items (see below)
9:30 - Interviewing each other in quarters (three Dutch and one American student. One of the Dutch students is just observing and giving feedback afterwards)
9:50 - Second round of interviewing
10:10 - Third round of interviewing
10:30 - Fourth round of interviewing
10:45 - Describing conclusions and break
11:15 - Presenting conclusions and Discussion
11.45 - Finish
12:15 - Dutch Leave to Martin’s Famous Pastry Shoppes. American students are 'dismissed'
Suggestions for items (apart form the ones, the Dutch students already have to investigate)
- grading process and striving for excellence
- competition (in sports, music, study, etc)
- competencies as part of the curriculum
- career perspectives
- value of income, property and taxes
- balance between being a student and studying
- (dis)advantages of campus life, living in apartments or with parents, during study
- Christianity in career
After the interviews: try to find and describe cultural patterns that were recognizable in the interviews and relate them to the dimensions of Hofstede and Trompenaars